Josh Taylor

Josh Taylor and promoter Barry McGuigan have set their sights on the Muhammad Ali Trophy.

Josh Taylor feels "much more relaxed" as he prepares to fight Ryan Martin in the World Boxing Super Series at Glasgow's Hydro on 3 November.

The unbeaten 27-year-old's 14th professional fight, against American Martin, will be in the quarter-finals.

Taylor admitted he had "an off night" despite beating Viktor Postol to retain his WBC silver super-lightweight title in June.

"I've learned a lot from the last fight and that last camp," said Taylor.

"I put a lot of pressure on myself, saying I had to win. I was too tense, trying too hard in the gym all the time, trying to win every second, every spar of every round and just not relaxing enough, just not switching off. I was thinking about it all the time.

"I'm much more relaxed, I'm much more switched on, I'm settled. I've got myself a flat as opposed to the last camp, when I was in and around hotels for 14 weeks, staying in a different room and I was never settled.

"Now I'm where I want to be - fighting in world championship fights. The pressure's off for me to get there now. I know I'm there now. I've proved myself at world level. It's telling in the gym, the way I'm performing right now is brilliant. I'm going to be in for a right good performance in three weeks."

'A hard nine months ahead'.

Kiryl Relikh beat Eduard Troyanovsky in the first quarter-final and will take on the winner of Regis Prograis' bout with Englishman Terry Flanagan in New Orleans on 27 October.

Ivan Baranchyk fights Anthony Yigit on the same bill and the winner will take on either Taylor or Martin. The eventual winner of the series will be awarded the Muhammad Ali Trophy.

And Taylor's promoter Barry McGuigan said: "They get the eight best fighters they can get and some of them are world champions, some of them are top contenders.

"Josh was the number one mandatory challenger so he would've been fighting Jose Ramirez for the title if we hadn't have gone into this tournament. I made the decision to take this tournament because we would probably have had to go to America to fight Jose Ramirez and more than likely gone to the west coast.

"With this, he's fighting his first fight at home. It's a great opportunity. It's a chance to give him global exposure. We've already done that. He's fought in America twice on television. They're talking about him in America all the time.

"What really matters is the world title fight. We know we're not there. We know we've a long way to go and with three really crucial fights and three really, really tough opponents. We've a hard nine months ahead of us. I believe he can win this tournament. I believe he can win the world title."

information taken from the BBC site

Terence Crawford

Crawford has 25 knockouts from 34 fights.

Terence Crawford retained his WBO welterweight title and extended his unbeaten record to 34 wins with a 12th-round stoppage of Jose Benavidez Jr.

Crawford, 31, sent his fellow American to the canvas with a sharp right-hand uppercut with less than a minute left.

Benavidez Jr recovered but the fight ended in flurry of punches from Crawford, with the referee stepping in.

Crawford kept his pre-fight promise of not shaking Benavidez Jr's hand after the bout in Nebraska.

There had been bad blood in the build-up, which culminated in Crawford trying to punch Benavidez Jr at Friday's weigh-in.

"It feels so good to shut somebody up who's been talking for so long," said Crawford, who was making the first defence of his title since winning the belt against Australian Jeff Horn in June.

The home favourite told: "I did what I said I was going to do. The knockout was coming. It was just a matter of time. He slowed down tremendously. He was tired, and once he slowed down, I saw I could catch him with the uppercut."

information taken from the BBC site

Anthony Ogogo

Anthony Ogogo, who appeared in Strictly Come Dancing in 2015, has not fought for the past two years.

British middleweight Anthony Ogogo says he retains his dream of being a world champion as he continues his recovery from a serious eye injury.

The 2012 Olympic bronze medallist, 29, has not fought since fracturing his eye socket in two places in his first professional defeat in October 2016.

Ogogo has since had five operations and is targeting a return despite not yet being ready to make his comeback.

"Ultimately, I could've died that night in the boxing ring," he said.

He told BBC Look East: "If I can achieve my dream and get back in the boxing ring and become world champion, that in itself gives so much inspiration to so many people around the country and world."

Ogogo had won his first 11 pro fights before being retired by his corner in the eighth round against Craig Cunningham with blurred vision.

The Suffolk fighter says he was 78% visually impaired at the time and had been told by some doctors that he would never box again.

"My eyes were literally pointing in different directions. I was being hit with punches I didn't know were coming," he said.

"It's been a testing couple of years - I've been very down - I've had to remortgage my house to pay for different surgeries in America, it's been really, really tough.

"I've trained my absolute backside off to become world champion, I'm not going to let a doctor tell me what I can and can't do."

information taken from the BBC site

Lisa Whiteside

Lisa Whiteside has left the GB Boxing set-up six months after winning Commonwealth Games gold.

Whiteside, 33, won the Commonwealth flyweight title for England, beating Northern Ireland's Carly McNaul.

GB Boxing performance director Rob McCracken said she had "not trained a great deal with the squad" since.

"It became clear to both parties that she was not in a position to continue to commit to the obligations required of her," added McCracken.

Whiteside left the set-up at Sheffield's English Institute of Sport by mutual consent and will now not compete at November's AIBA Women's World Boxing Championships or form part of the squad for the remainder of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic cycle.

"Being on the programme and being part of the GB Boxing family for nearly six years has been an amazing, life-changing experience," said Whiteside.

"What started as a hobby turned into a career as an elite athlete and I hope I have inspired others."

Whiteside's Commonwealth success in Australia arrived despite her needing time away from the sport after fracturing her skull in an accident in 2015.

She went on to add the Commonwealth title to World Championship silver earned in 2014 and a bronze from two years earlier.

The Chorley-born fighter withdrew from the European Championships in May for "personal reasons".

information taken from the BBC site

Billy Joe Saunders

Billy Joe Saunders has won all 26 of his professional bouts.

Billy Joe Saunders looks set to lose his WBO middleweight title after being refused a licence to fight against Demetrius Andrade.

Saunders, 29, returned an adverse finding in a Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (Vada) test in August.

The Massachusetts State Athletic Commission (MSAC), which was due to sanction his title defence in Boston on 20 October, has denied him a licence.

The WBO says Saunders has the right to appeal to retain his title belt.

But if the Englishman fails to satisfy the WBO appeal, it says it will "declare the title vacant".

Saunders was set to meet Andrade at Boston's TD Garden in the fourth defence of the world title he claimed in 2015.

Eddie Hearn, who promotes Andrade, has said he would look to secure a bout for the vacant title in the event Saunders is stripped by the WBO.

The Matchroom boxing boss said he has "signed a contract" for Namibian Walter Kautondokwa to face American Andrade.

Saunders returned an adverse finding for stimulant oxilofrine.

Under World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) and Ukad rules, oxilofrine is only banned in competition, meaning a fighter is only in breach of rules if it is found in his system on the day of a bout.

But it is prohibited at all times by Vada, who tested Saunders on 30 August.

Saunders insisted he is a "clean fighter to the bone", while his promoter Frank Warren said the substance was in a "common decongestant nasal spray".

He was expected to still be able to contest the title as the MSAC adheres to the Wada prohibited list rather than Vada rules.

BBC Sport has contacted the MSAC for comment and is awaiting a response.

In September, Saunders was fined £100,000 by the British Boxing Board of Control for misconduct after a video was posted on social media in which the fighter offers a woman £150 worth of drugs to perform a sex act. Saunders apologised for the video and described it as "banter" that "went wrong".

information taken from the BBC site

Page 8 of 45

Tennis News

Madrid Open: Novak Djokovic beats Stefanos Tsitsipas to win third title

Madrid Open: Novak Djokovic beats Stefanos Tsitsipas to win third title

Просмотров 25 Просмотров

Novak Djokovic lost the previous meeting with Stefanos Tsitsipas. World number one Novak…

Madrid Open: Roger Federer marks clay-court return with win over Richard Gasquet

Madrid Open: Roger Federer marks clay-court return with win over Richard Gasquet

Просмотров 82 Просмотров

Roger Federer has won 11 clay-court titles in his career, with his…

ATP Finals moving from London to Turin from 2021 to 2025

ATP Finals moving from London to Turin from 2021 to 2025

Просмотров 293 Просмотров

The ATP Finals will move from London to Turin after the Italian…

Cameron Norrie loses to world No 372 Janko Tipsarevic in Houston

Cameron Norrie loses to world No 372 Janko Tipsarevic in Houston

Просмотров 374 Просмотров

Norrie is ranked 55th in the world. British number two Cameron Norrie lost…